Explore Aklan

Your Online Gateway to Aklan

SEAFDEC Adventure

Ah, its long been summer time and I have lots of overdue posts. Well, its better late that never...

When I knew that my friend Marcos had a plan to go with Rex and Mayad Studios to a SEAFDEC station in Guimaras, I figured I had to ride along with them.

The station is located in Igang, Nueva Valencia, Guimaras. We took a boat ride from Iloilo to Jordan, Guimaras and rode a "multicab" to Nueva Vaencia. Then we rode a really puny boat from the Igang river out to sea. And since I had no waterproof bag, I placed my cam inside a plastic bag.

We had a scary moment when we got stuck in the middle of the sea because of engine trouble. But good thing there was another boat who towed us to the station.

The place was really nice. And thanks to my phobia with water, I did not take my camera out to the fish-cage areas because I'm really clumsy and I broke one part of a pontoon. Seeing really massive fish like the groupers and Milk fish was really amazing. Here are some of the pictures of the SEAFDEC Station.




a fish-cage in the middle of the sea

different cages house different species of fish

several islets in the station are connected with bamboo bridges

surprisingly, lots of cats live there...

Other marine creatures on the station were different species of seahorse and giant clams. And while touring the place, another stroke of bad luck occurred, the engine of the boat failed us again. Good thing there was this other bigger boat to ferry us back to the mainland.

And after a long and hot day, we bid goodbye to the SEAFDEC marine station in Igang, Nueva Valencia, Guimaras. And if I'll have another chance, I'll definitely go back there...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Vince! You're right, you've been long overdue for another post. FINALLY! But, as you've mentioned, better late than never at all... Your adventure in SEAFDEC stirred a lot of fond memories in my part. As you may probably have known, I stayed in Nueva Valencia for 2 yrs. During that period, I got the chance to tour every islands and islets in that town. I did a lot of snorkeling, practically all over major islets there. Unfortunately, underwater camera was a rarity in the 80's. So, as much as I would love to take pics of beautiful tropical fishes that time, I settled to store them in my human memory. Just like you, I would love to re-visit the beaches and islands of Nueva Valencia in the near future.

vince said...

I hope nga makavisit ka gman liwat didto. hehe. Nami tani kung may underwater cam gman kay nami ang mga giant clams sa dalum. hehe. hopefully maka-bakal ko sang waterproof disposable cam next time. hehe

Rex said...

Cool pano Vince! It was nice to have you around with us. Thanks for the help! Watch out for the video! Haha..

vince said...

hehe. Thanks Rex. hehe

    Copyright © 2008 All Rights Reserved. All Aklan pictures, Aklan News, Aklan Articles, and other Aklan Content are published for educational purposes only.