Explore Aklan

Your Online Gateway to Aklan

Flood Aftermath in Aklan

Frank=Carnage. Describe Kalibo now and it is in carnage. A lot of people lost their lives and property. After the flood, I was still in Iloilo in our apartment. I was really happy because we were safe here, but I was also worried about what happened back home. When I received a message that the flood in Kalibo was very high, I panicked and wanted to go home so I rushed to the mall to buy some supplies. Water was scarce and most of the candles and canned goods were gone. The line to the cashier was a mile and I waited for almost an hour. After that, I went to the terminal and it was pure carnage down there. But I never dared to take a picture because I told myself that I must save my batteries.
The bus waited in the terminal for an eternity because the ticket man came from Estancia. After the long wait, we finally chugged to Kalibo. The highway to Dingle from Pototan was wrecked so we had to use the old provincial road via Dingle proper, and boy was it wrecked. Most of the crops were decimated by the mud, it seemed like lahar just poured all over. Also in Dueñas, the mud and the destruction was disheartening. Most of the sugar canes and other crops were destroyed. The same can be said in the neighboring city of Passi. The rice fields in Sapian and Mambusao became in-land lakes and people had to use boats to get around. It was already dark when our bus crossed the border to Aklan. Altavas seemed to be fine but I'm not so sure because the bus did not pass though the town proper. But when we passed by the town of Balete, I started to wonder how much devastation did Kalibo have. I saw power lines and trees on the road especially near the town of Banga.
A few minutes later, the bus finally arrived at Kalibo. I saw several buses stuck on the terminal and they said the flood was so high that the water got to their engines. When I arrived at our block, I had to walk several meters through cold mud. I did not know if anybody was still in our block because it was pitch black. And after several loud calls outside, they finally opened the door. It was messy and muddy inside but I was glad to see everybody was fine.
In the morning, I started to survey the damage in our house. I saw the water line inside and it was about six feet. I later decided to start taking snapshots of my battered town. Walking around town through the slippery mud, I managed to take several photos. And here they are.


Welcome to Kalibo.


Water line. I took this photo on the day after I went back home.


Outside our house. Mud everywhere.


In some parts, the mud was up to 5 inches deep.


The flood was so high nobody was spared. You can even see the water marks on the glass window.


The Cathedral held only one mass last Sunday, it was still muddy both inside and outside.


Lonely bench, Pastrana Park.


Torn flags at the plaza.


School's out.


People living near the river were greatly affected. Most of their property was destroyed and many lost their homes and livestock.


Asphalt + mud= a very slippery road. I witnessed some riders falling off their scooters.


A Hilux struggles for grip on the slippery road.


The line for petrol had never been this long.


When I passed by this place I saw Blass (the old man) crying. Most of his property was destroyed.


The wind was so strong that it made the bamboo bend so much and even ripped off the roof of my aunt's house.


The Aloha has already withstood many storms. None of which made it bend, except this one.




Flood victims waited in line for relief goods. Father and son watched as other members of their family went to fall in line.


The MMDA helped jumpstart the mud clean-up.


U.S. Navy ships off the coast of Panay. Choppers flew from these ships carrying relief goods to the mainland.


Cardinal Sin's monument fell down in New Washington.


The Philippine Army gave water away to the people, but the brother of the "mee-your" (mayor-that's how he pronounces it) scolded them because he said the water still needed to be counted for inventory.


A chopper flew over Tangalan to deliver relief goods. Too bad it took-off before I reached the landing site.


People clearing up the fallen tree


Magsaysay Park. The two trees that fell in the background were veterans of other storms. They have been standing there ever since I can remember.

These are just a few images of the mayhem that I witnessed. I'll be posting more pictures including those from other affected areas in Aklan...^^

1 comments:

guest0963 said...

Congratulations! good pics. better, if they were colored. also,try to make your articles less personal. try not to write the things that would instantaneously pop in your mind. paragraphs actually work after pictures. i mean to say,put the side stories after the picture. it creates a storyline that makes the article more interesting. try verdana as font. good luck on your career. mwahugs.

    Copyright © 2008 All Rights Reserved. All Aklan pictures, Aklan News, Aklan Articles, and other Aklan Content are published for educational purposes only.