Explore Aklan

Your Online Gateway to Aklan

Ati-atihan Odessey Part 1: Makato, Aklan

This year, I was able to shoot for the Ati-atihan celebration in Makato, Aklan. I've almost forgotten about their celebration because most of time, I'm in Iloilo attending my classes.

They celebrate just before the Ati-atihan in Kalibo does, which, if I'm not mistaken is on January 14 to 15. Their format for celebrating the Ati-atihan is somewhat similar to that of Kalibo . The celebration is also mainly focused of the Holy Child, Sto. Niño.






The image of the Holy Child, Sto. Niño can be seen iside the church. Its smaller than that of Kalibo's, but if you look closely, there's no glass box surrounding the Sto. Niño, and devotees can touch it directly.

innocent spectators


After spending some time inside the church, I went outside to take some shots of the ongoing parade.

And like the Ati-atihan in Kalibo, people dance in the beat of the drums. For now, some are just spectators, but after the contest ends, people start to join in the celebration.


Ocho-ocho was apparently this kid's favorite.
I noticed this naughty kid who kept bugging the man in the spider costume.

Orally fixated.

Modern tribes have different concepts on their costumes. This one was clearly influenced by our friendly neighborhood, Spiderman.

I usually get amused when I see an Ati joining the celebration.

Sleeping beauty...

Even though there's a feast, this kid still chooses to eat some fish balls.

At rest...
And after seeing some part of the festivites, I had to go home because I had to see some of my friends. But I can clearly see the spirit of celebrating the Ati-atihan in the eyes of the people of Makato. Next year, I hope to cover the celebration and just not do a hit and run.

0 comments:

    Copyright © 2008 All Rights Reserved. All Aklan pictures, Aklan News, Aklan Articles, and other Aklan Content are published for educational purposes only.