Explore Aklan

Your Online Gateway to Aklan

Atiatihan Odessey Part 2: Kalibo, Aklan

When I ask somebody that is foreign to Ati-atihan what he/she likes about the festival, the person almost always answers: "Its because I can participate in the celebration."

When I'm at theDinagyang in Iloilo, I always wonder how the people really enjoy. They just watch under the scorching heat, buy overpriced tickets and cheer for the tribes. Sometimes I cant really grasp the sense of celebration. I mean, where's the feast? Of course there's lots of food down the road. What I mean is free food, like in fiestas. Here in Kalibo, when the days of the celebration come, you can almost always be certain that someone can feed you. I guess that's one strong point of the Ati-atihan festival. You can just storm into a house without any invitation and eat all you can.

The next thing that people probably enjoy the most is the "sad-sad". Its a free for all street dance. No formations needed, no steps that must be synchronized with others. Just pure self expression while shouting "Viva kay Señor Sto. Niño" meaning "Long live the Holy Child!"

This year, I was almost able to cover the whole event. Almost covered because I spent too much time enjoying with my friends that I went home in the wee hours of the morning. But, I was still able to make-up for lost shots in the afternoon. And here's the story...

Hala Bira! Puera pasma!


In the afternoon, my friends and I went to the center of the festivities, Pastrana Park. But we went there a bit too early and none of the tribes were out yet. So we decided to go to the Product showcase.

Inside would make any Aklanon proud. There were lots of stuff inside, and the ones that caught my attention was the piña products. They were really amazing and elegant for my taste, plus the fact that most were really cheap.




After a while, we decided to go and check if the Tribes were already out. And they were. So we decide to shoot. Most of the costumes were really entertaining. We saw real Aeta's participating in the event. I always find it amusing to see them because legend has it that the festival originated when the Borneans smeared themselves with soot in order to show their solidarity among the Aeta's. You can check the legend in my old post The Barter of Panay.

curiosity

real Aeta's participating in the Ati-atihan


save the Earth!

warrior

Phineas and Ferb

I really enjoy covering the festival. You don't need long zooms to get a nice shot. You can just walk inside of the tribe and take pictures. All I can say is its one of the most photographer-friendly festivals in the island of Panay.



like I've said before, everyone enjoys the festival

innocence

the Champions






starting 'em young

eyes wide shut








Police are scattered around town, making sure that peace is attained in the celebration

Aklanons never forget that the celebration is always about the Sto. Niño. And after the Sunday mass in the morning, there is a procession in the afternoon. Ati-atihan groups parade for hours together with their beautifully adorned Sto. Niño "caro's", devotees carrying Sto. Niño image and bamboo torches that create floods of light beginning at the town plaza and ending at the Kalibo Cathedral for the "Paeapak".

devotion


After several hours, the procession arrives in the Kalibo Cathedral. And people usually get the flowers from the "caro's" and later proceed to pray and fall in line for the "paeapak".




paeapak

Viva kay Señor Sto. Niño!

After attending my first procession after several years, I've now rediscovered the meaning of Ati-atihan. People come for fun and adventure, but its the passion for spirituality that drives this festival. I have seen it in their eyes, and hopefully next year, I'll be here to see it once more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Instant flashback guid, Vince! Early 80's when you where not probably around yet! Hehehe!!!
I shared the same experience with Jorp that we attended/ participated in the Ati-atihan parade itself!(can't do that in Dinagyang). Nobody bothered us, me and my fellow docs just "joined in the parade" in ecstatic euphoria loaded with adrenaline and a bit of alcohol. Still have that fond memories... damn, only if I can find the photos, lost it somewhere!

vince said...

Kung makita mo gman Lee pki post lang sa forum... hehe... Yup, amu gman na ang nami sa Ati-atihan, kay tanan ya participant... Po indi galing nami gid ang street dance sang mga tribes kay wala uniformity kag mga steps, compared sa Dinagyang... hehe

Anonymous said...

So, I can safely say, nga ang Dinagyang is an IMPROVED VERSION of Ati-atihan! I don't know if that's a fair assessment. Vince, nakita ko na and pix, ugaling isa lang sya. Kung may topic gani about Ati-atihan sa SSC forum, i-post ko guid gilayon.

    Copyright © 2008 All Rights Reserved. All Aklan pictures, Aklan News, Aklan Articles, and other Aklan Content are published for educational purposes only.